FAQs about Key Workers

If two adults in any household are a key worker (see Guidance for schools, childcare providers, colleges and local authorities in England on maintaining educational provision for information on what counts as a key worker), then they will be able to apply to send their child to school.

Children should remain at home and out of school unless there is no other alternative. Parents should not rely on childcare from those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category, such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying health conditions. If any adult in the household works from home, then the child must stay at home.

Based on information provided by parents and carers, our schools have been contacting parents and carers to let them know if their child is eligible to attend school.

How should key worker families inform schools about their changes in their ability to look after children at home?

We understand that due to shift work and other circumstances, key workers’ ability to look after children at home may change during the week and overtime. Parents and carers are encouraged to communicate this directly to a member of staff when they drop off their child, or, if the child is at home, to let us know through the chat function on the school website.

What should key worker families do if they cease to require school childcare?

If a parent or carer has registered your child for a place as a key worker but no longer needs this place, they are encouraged to contact the live chat available on all of our websites, so that this can be communicated to the school.

What do key workers who need childcare do when their school is closed?

Following the Government announcements, we've taken the decision to fully close a number of our schools until further notice. Where possible we will seek to assist parents with placing their child(ren) into childcare. As per the DfE guidance, we are instructing parents to contact their local authority who will also be able to provide a list of alternative locations.

Swindon: Gareth Cheal - [email protected]
Wiltshire: Helean Hughes - [email protected]
Oxfordshire: [email protected]
Reading: Kate Reynolds - [email protected]
Gloucestershire: [email protected]

Our policy regarding provision of childcare for key worker families is based on government guidance, which can be found here:

Guidance for schools, childcare providers, colleges and local authorities in England on maintaining educational provision

Will extra school transport be put on for children of key workers?

There is no additional school transport being put on for children of key workers. Parents and carers are asked to use their own means of transport.

How does the school determine which children are eligible?

We've been provided with further guidance from the Government with regards to the definition of a key worker. So we can assess those parents and carers that meet this criteria. We are asking everyone to complete a key worker questionnaire.

The questionnaire can be found here: https://forms.gle/4ARZSLX21dJcC5WP9

Based on responses to this questionnaire, further information is being provided directly to key working parents and carers.

Where can parents and carers find information about access arrangements?

Parents are encouraged to read the ‘School Status’ pages on their child’s school’s website, which have been updated with headline information regarding access arrangements for next week.